The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 22 February 2007

Am I sufficiently technologically advanced to do this?

Back in the days of computers that had green screens, when all I was expected to do was to type letters, I used to consider myself to be reasonably able with a computer.

These days, although my CV still claims that I’m computer literate, what I actually mean is that I can type and I can drive the usual Office programmes and a few other bespoke database systems. When it comes to setting up a website or creating a blog I’m lost within the first sentence of the first google result. The world of HTML confounds me. I feel a learning curve coming on.

But, here I am. I’ve managed to set up this blog (they said it was easy in the blurb – what they meant was it’s easy if you’ve already thought about a title and the like; if you haven’t and if you’re an indecisive person you could be scratching your head for hours).

So, what thoughts am I going to share with the world? I’m not quite sure yet, but it’s pretty much all going to be related to walking and backpacking. I like the outdoors. I like mud. I like kit (or kit likes me; I seem to have accumulated a lot of it either way).

I’m hoping that I’ve got enough to say and can find the time to be able to blog on something approaching a regular basis – only time will tell.

But for now, this is just my first test post to see what I can do with this blogspot thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment