The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 25 February 2008

LEJOG Fundraising

We decided quite a while ago that in doing our LEJOG walk we would try to raise a bit of money for MacMillan Cancer Support.

Although there may appear to be a particular personal link here, with both of my parents having died of cancer in the last four years (aged 59 and 61) and two other members of my close family having been diagnosed with cancer in the last year (my sister aged just 36), the reality is that none of them has directly used the services of a cancer charity, although undoubtedly they have all benefited indirectly from their work.

Rather my reason for choosing a cancer charity is that statistics say that 1 in 3 people will develop cancer during their lifetime. So, the sad fact is that if you don’t already know someone who has benefited from the work of a cancer charity, you probably will sometime soon. With the disease affecting so many people, a charity that makes life better for a lot of those people seems to me to be a worthy cause.

Last Wednesday we had a very useful meeting with the Fundraising Manager at our local MacMillan office, who will be publicising our walk on our behalf and who has given us lots of useful advice. We came away with a collection bucket and shaker tin (which will not be accompanying us on the walk for obvious reasons, but may come in handy beforehand), as well as t-shirts and polythene ponchos that are so light that we both involuntarily went ‘ooh’ as we picked them up!

I’m now in the midst of designing a panel to go on the back of our backpacks to further advertise the fundraising cause.

Finally, I’ve now set up our justgiving fundraising page, which you’ll find at
www.justgiving.com/walkingbritain.

I’d be most pleased if any of you has a few spare coins that you’d like to donate to the cause.

And just as a cliffhanger, there is one more thing that I will be doing before (but related to) this walk which is sponsorship worthy … but for now I’m going to keep that under my hat … oooh, the suspense!

2 comments:

  1. Gayle - not another nude LeFog please
    ;-)

    Donation imminent - and best of luck with the trip prep

    ReplyDelete