The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 10 July 2009

Of Feet

'Are you worried that the first thing your plumber did on arrival was to don a pair of waterproof socks?' I asked Vic having arrived to carry out her Christmas present of fitting a new radiator.

As it happened, in the day that I was absent from Vic's house (having my stitches removed - I can soon pick up my backpack again), my new Rocky GoreTex socks had arrived. They're reputed to be the bells and whistles of waterproof socks and when I heard of a vendor with my size in stock I had to get some.

Hopefully they'll get a test next weekend but in the meantime I can report that the fit is a lot less baggy than Mick's Trekmates Amphibians.

As for the photo, that's Mick's feet clad in his Salomon Fastpackers. He ripped the plastic off the parcel this morning and hasn't taken them off since. His first stroll in them was deemed a success. He's a happy chap.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, those Fastpackers look the bee's knees!

    *wants*

    ReplyDelete
  2. another covert? ;)

    I've got two pairs. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. After Robin has continually mentioned how pleased he is with the boots,I gave in to temptation and purchased a pair.A couple of weeks ago I had been fondling them in Beyond Extreme in Church Stretton.I was pleased with my willpower that I had not bought them although in hindsight,I should at least have tried them on.Once I got home I wished that I had gone ahead with the purchase.I normally take 10.5 in Boots but my local Blacks store advised me that they do not stock them in half sizes and had no size 11s in the shop.So I took a gamble and ordered them by post from the shop in Church Stretton.In view of the fact that many people reckon Salomon boots come up a bit on the small side,I went for the 11s.They seem to fit Ok and I reckon the 10.5s would be too small for me.Anyway,Snowdon beckons within the next few days so I will get a chance to try them out properly.It can become a very expensive pastime reading about Gear on these Blogs.Now what was that Sleeping Bag that Robin drooled over-A Cumulus Quantum 350 I seem to recall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peewiglet: I wants some too. Unfortunately, even though I saw them first, I couldn't quite justify buying some so Mick got there first. And, of course, if I buy some now we're back into the world of 'his & hers matching', which I do try to avoid!

    Robin: I'll report back in due course as to how Mick gets on with them. He's been wearing XA Pros for a couple of years, so hopefully they'll suit him.

    Jeff: You gear monster! You do make me feel better about my kit collection! As for the boots, Mick gave up trying to find somewhere where he could try on a half size, so eventually just mail ordered his usual Salomon size of 8.5. Bit of a gamble, but in reality the posting back and forth is no more expensive than making a special journey to an outdoor shop.

    ReplyDelete