The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 19 November 2009

Wednesday: Ludlow Castle

If there’s a castle nearby, then we need to go and see it. With Ludlow Castle being within a five minute walk from our accommodation it would have been more than rude to shun it. So, ignoring the fact that Ludlow Castle doesn’t feature roofs and that today’s weather was more wet than dry, that’s where we headed this morning.

Last time I visited was in 1984, when I was in Mr. Taylor’s class at Palmer’s Cross Primary. I remember the trip, but today I realised that I have no recollection of the main structure of the castle itself. I probably had less interest in things historical back then.

We explored every nook and cranny and took 42 photos plus one 360 video snippet from the top of the Keep. I will post the 360 video snippet next week (when I’m back in the land of sensible internet access). In the meantime, I will post a little snapshot taken from the top of the Keep:

IMG_0184a 

Following the visit to the castle we proved what a small town Ludlow is by repeatedly bumping into our holiday companions in the streets, in between which random meetings we popped into The Olive Branch, a whole-food restaurant which gave us a tasty lunch with a plentiful pot of tea.

Suddenly I find that it’s Wednesday evening* already, with only a couple of days of holiday left. There’s lots and lots to do around here (and equal amounts of good food to eat). A week just isn’t long enough.

(*bit of a delayed posting there)

1 comment:

  1. Stunning mileages you're managing, Gayle...
    how is Mick coping?
    But there again, Ludlow is perhaps more famed for its eateries than its mountain scenery.
    I seem to recall some excellent hostelries, as well.
    Hic
    PS word ver = 'astrop'...

    ReplyDelete