The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 25 May 2010

1982, 2010

May 1982, I sit atop the trig point on Helvellyn

helvellyn

Twenty eight years later, in April this year, I adopted the same position:

IMG_0464

The weather was a bit better when I was there in 1982! (I had much more hair in 1982 too; and much more interesting socks!)

3 comments:

  1. That's a nice comparison, Gayle.

    Just looking at how much the base of the trig column has been eroded makes me wonder how much height has been lost from the summit itself. Is it still a 3000-footer ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gayle. What a lovely family photo! Well done on completing another great walk. Welcome home to you and Mick. I'll miss the walk blogging... until the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BG! - I had to double check the official height of Helvellyn, but having done so, I think we can safely say that it's still over 3000'. Quite notable erosion though, isn't it?

    Mike - Well, I've already got the first cut of the route down for the next Biggie. Pity it likely won't happen until 2012.

    ReplyDelete