The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 22 February 2011

East to West Route: Part 3

On the original plan we would have joined the Pennine Way at Middleton in Teesdale and followed it to Cauldron Snout. It’s a lovely walk, but we’ve done it before. Moreover, on looking at the bigger picture I realised that I’d plotted three sides of a square, so on one of my route-tweaking evenings I re-plotted. Once again, by taking to ground that we’ve not before trodden the route also becomes more direct.

image

On this section we hit and cross out LEJOG route. For about a mile just before the Scottish border we follow the Pennine Way, before we head off along Dere Street towards Jedburgh. A little more repetition occurs after Jedburgh until Melrose before we head off to the north.

More of ‘heading off to the north’ in the next (and final) route post…

2 comments:

  1. You seem to be passing only a mere twelve of the Queen's miles from Pie Central.
    Do you have a date for Stanhope++?
    I could bring you something from Gregs in Crook.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mr. Pieman!

    I would subject you to a copy of the itinerarararary, but it seems that I don't have your email address. Not sure why. Sure I had it at some point.

    Anyways, the itinerarararary suggests that we should get to Stanhope at the end of the day on 11 April. But, that's the second of two long days and it's quite possible that we'll split those two days into three.

    Unless Barnard Castle and Stanhope are in some sort of a mobile phone blackspot, the blog should make our progress (or lack of) clear at the time.

    ReplyDelete