The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Holding Post

So sound asleep was I when the alarm went off this morning that I spent a good few moments lying there trying to recall, from the depths of my sleepy mind, why it was that I’d set it for such an early hour*.

Finally I recalled that late last night I’d more-or-less packed my backpack, and the fact that I had a bus and two trains to catch this morning.

The start would have been a lot earlier had I stuck with Plan A (a chunk of the Pennine Way between Horton and Appleby), but late yesterday I decided that time and money would be saved if I stayed closer to home. So, to the Peak District I go.

All that wittering wasn’t the purpose of this post, though. I just wanted to hold this spot for a few reflections on this year’s TGO Challenge. I may even get really organised and create an index!

(*Actually, in the real world, it wasn’t an early hour at all; it’s just that I’ve been particularly lazy over the last week and a half since we got home.)

3 comments:

  1. I've been wondering what you were up to, it's been very quiet!

    I'm about to launch into a little light strolling, as soon as Rhiannon is back at school (post-exam study leave, I ask you!).

    The heel is looking much happier, but I don't want to upset it by overdoing it (ho ho) so I'm going to continue taking it easy for a while. Strangely, my joints are sore since I stopped all that exercise and fresh air, humph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad you have decided to stretch your legs again. Im reading plenty of blogs on LEJOG - i never tire of reading these tales, keeping the dream very much alive.

    One day i will do this myself, probably in a few years time, as i have to care for my dog - thought i was on the verge of losing him recently, but he seems ok at the moment. Found my cat dead this morning though, have to find somewhere nice to bury him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the ailing dog and loss of the cat, Hannah.

    I do recommend LEJOG as a good trip - and indulging in unnecessary levels of planning can keep you entertained for months in advance!

    ReplyDelete