The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 21 September 2011

East to West Photos: Day 20

Fri 9 April (0655-1605) (Ellerton-on-Swale to Barnard Castle)
Distance: 22 miles (Tot: 350)
Weather: wall-to-wall sunshine and jolly warm when out of the brisk breeze

I can’t remember why I was out of the tent early enough to see the sunrise on Day 20, but I was and I even took a photo of it:

Day 18-1

Right at the other end of the day (after a detour via the A66 when a failure to navigate landed us at Scotch Corner, and after a few episodes of trespass), we found ourselves at the River Tees – my favourite English river:

Day 18-2

It brought me to my knees, apparently:

Day 18-3

Another ruined Abbey (Egglestone) was just the other side of the river from us:

Day 18-4

And everything looked quite lovely under the blue skies:

Day 18-5

The sky was about perfect as we arrived in Barnard Castle, where the Butter Market is a focal point as you approach the high street (pity about the cars; I did take another photo, without cars, the following morning, but this one wins for the perfection of the sky). Mick’s Mum comes from Barnard Castle and tells us that the butter market was all a bustle on a Wednesday in the 1930s.

Day 18-6

The original blog post for the day can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment