The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 1 December 2011

Mam Tor and Lose Hill

The last time I went for a walk was in Madeira where, contrary to the indications of the fallen leaves, it felt like summer. Today, it felt most decidedly wintery.

Suitably wrapped up, we soon got the blood pumping by choosing a steep route up Mam Tor. Once on the top, our admirations of the far-reaching views on this fine day were shared by a few others who reached the trig at the same time as us (albeit from different directions). Then, like a group walk, we all set out towards Lose Hill.

When out of the wind, the middle of the day was approaching warm and thus there was no shivering as we enjoyed sandwiches just before Back Tor.

Having reached Lose Hill we shunned a proper circular walk, as it seemed a shame to drop down the hill on such a nice day. Instead, an about turn was performed and back along the ridge we went, for a while at least.

We did soon pick up a downwards path and back to Castleton we went.

It wasn't a long outing, but then size isn't everything is it?




Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

3 comments:

  1. That's one of my favourite walks.I can only hope you had better weather than I did a fortnight ago - Kinder was bathed in sunshine, but Brown Knoll, Rushup Edge and Hollins Cross were wreathed in cloud.

    Of course, it just means I'll have to go back sometime and do the walk in sunshine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have done Mam Tor Lose Hill but must be about 6 years ago, keep saying we would go back in that area. Maybe now you have reminded me we will go soon.......

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a photograph of a couple of sheep in a very precarious position at the top of Mam Tor. At least, I think it was Mam Tor...

    ReplyDelete