The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 23 March 2013

Spring is Further Delayed

Yesterday morning’s vague smattering of snow on our lawn had melted by late afternoon – just ready for it to start to snow again. By this morning we had almost as much snow as there was on Cannock Chase yesterday. I imagine that there was quite a bit more on the Chase this morning, but we didn’t venture over there to find out. This time we stayed close to home and set out on one of our local circuits.

IMG_2850

It wasn’t a big circuit at just under 5.5 miles, but the snow made it feel like good exercise.

Back at home before 11am, we were faced with three quarters of the day remaining and nothing to do with it. So, we had an early lunch and then went back out for another (different) circuit, this one lying in the opposite direction to the first.

IMG_2852

By now the falling snow (it really hasn’t stopped the whole day long) was getting wetter and on this circuit the underfoot conditions often featured very soft mud under the snow. Even better ankle-shaping exercise than the morning’s walk.

IMG_2855

The afternoon’s outing was a modest 4 miles long (but with more than 100 feet of ascent, which is as hilly as we get without venturing a few miles further).

I think that we may resort to walking along lanes tomorrow. I’m not sure that I can be doing with the slush/mud combination which, I’m guessing, will prevail tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not long home from a trail run in the Peak District - hilarious fun, charging through deep snowdrifts!
    Oodles of the white stuff being blown around but very little falling out of the sky.
    Such fun doesn't seem like exercise so I'm going to have to go out again tomorrow!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charging downhill through deep snow = great fun. I fear, however, that your run probably involved some significant snow on the flat and the uphill too, which seems like jolly hard work to me.

    ReplyDelete