The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 3 January 2016

Cringle Moor (NZ537030; 434m)

image

Like Round Hill on Urra Moor (yesterday's second Marilyn), the highest point of Cringle Moor sits a stone's throw away from the Coast to Coast route that we walked in September 2008. This time, however, I was sure that we hadn't visited the top by way of a detour, as we were in far too much of flap at the time, having just realised that we'd lost our map case, containing that and the next days'  maps.

This morning I was on a mission to visit that top, and even though I suggested that he should stay nice and warm and dry in bed, Mick opted to join me. As it went, by the time we'd finished drinking tea and organised ourselves to get out the door, the wind and rain had abated considerably from its overnight state, and whilst it wasn't a particularly nice day to be heading up a hill (we were in cloud, with a light rain falling, for the majority of the outing), it wasn't as wet and windy as we'd expected.

Having previously walked the Cleveland Way over the two lumps between Clay Bank (our start point) and Cringle Moor, I wasn't feeling any obligation to haul myself over them again - or at least not until I'd experienced the mudfest (interspersed with frequent boggy wallows) on the forest track which bypasses the tops. We duly cut back to the Cleveland Way having only bypassed the first of the lumps.

Arriving back at Colin 2.25 hrs after we'd set off (5.8 miles walked with 1700' of up), we found the car park about as empty as it had been when we'd left. Quite a contrast to yesterday – although who can blame people for choosing to go out on the crisp day of fine weather, rather than in the wind and rain?

1 comment:

  1. I did these Cleveland Way Ms on the Sunday after Martins B's event at Leyburn a few weeks ago. Albeit only a stone's throw from the CW I got a bit lost getting back onto the track after the summit trying to take a north east diagonal. That is a splendid ridge/rim on a good day.

    ReplyDelete