The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 7 May 2017

Beinn Mhor (NM798216; 194m)

Friday 5 May

As I made my way up Carn Dearg this morning, I promised my weary legs that we would be finished with hills by noon and I would spend the rest of the day doing absolutely nothing.

By early afternoon we had moved to the foot of tomorrow's hill. It's only a tiddler of a Marilyn and it was the obvious place for Mick (who had been sitting around all morning, waiting for me) to go for a stroll. It would have been silly not to join him, wouldn't it?

Under a mile and a quarter of effort later we were standing atop this standalone lump in the landscape, giving us an excellent vantage point over the west coast, the closest bit of which lay less than a kilometre away.



And then we walked back down again (incidentally having no issue with barbed wire in either direction - the top strand was missing in places on both of the fences we had to cross).

The weather has been so amenable so far on this trip that I've been rattling trough my hills. Thus, we now find ourselves with seven days left before the TGO Challenge starts and only two little hills left on the pre-Challenge list. Assuming this weather is going to hold a little longer, we'll be taking a detour for two bonus hills, but I think that books and gentle strolling around Oban will feature greatly next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment