The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 29 April 2018

Meall Mor (NN303471; 492m)

Distance: 1.8 miles
Ascent: less than 200m
Weather: Sunny intervals; dry.
Start point: Layby on E side of A82 at around NN 31411 47228.


Two years ago I set off from the same layby as today and walked the short distance up Glas Bheinn, which sits on the east side of the A82 and completely failed to notice that approximately the same small distance away, across the other side of the road, there sits another Marilyn.

I raved about the views from Glas Bheinn, and I felt sure that Meall Mcor would offer more of the same. It did:




The significant difference between the two hills was that two years ago we were right in the middle of a very dry spell and the bog that lies between the road and Glas Bheinn had dried out. Today I felt at times like Wellington boots would have been the footwear of choice (although not an option, given I don't own a pair!).

Meanwhile Mick decided that in a continuing effort to regain his fitness, and to really test out the state of his ribs, his best course of action today would be to walk, with his full backpack, from Bridge of Orchy (where we spent last night) to Kingshouse. Thus it is something of a role reversal that I am currently sitting in Bertie waiting for Mick to finish a walk, rather than the other way around.

2 comments:

  1. I presume Mick is waking it on the W. Highland Way, not on the road?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was indeed on the WHW. The A82 would be horrible to walk. It's bad enough being parked next to it, even for five minutes (for which reason Mick didn't find me where I said I would be waiting for him, but fortunately I was within sight down the Glen Etive road, as he didn't get my text message saying I'd changed slightly the rendezvous location).

      Delete