The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 9 September 2023

Cluny Castle to Newtonmore

Sunday 3 September

16.1km, 230m ascent

Mini-post, just for my records.

Mick dropped me off on the A86, just east of Cluny Castle so that I could do a linear route up to Glen Banchor, then along the Glen to Newtonmore (adding on a bit of the Wild Cat Trail at the end, just to make up the distance).

It was lovey!

Heading up from Cluny Castle to Strath an Eilich

Lumps and bumps and lots of them(Looking SW-ish from Strath an Eilich)

Dalnashallac (estate bothy) just before the track meets the River Calder

A narrow trodden line ran along Glen Banchor, but not following the line of the old RoW shown on the map

The fords (x3) were all benign on this day. The only place I got wet feet was in a bog, maybe 200m long, at 7km through the route.

Ummm, maybe I won’t go that way! (This is part of the old route of the wildcat trail that I’ve followed before; I suspect it was rerouted because of the fallen trees)

2 comments:

  1. What did Mick do? Go to the pub and watch the rugby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather less interestingly, he went back to Newtonmore to do some more TGO Challenge admin. He is, however, watching rugby as I type this.

      Delete