The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 18 July 2007

Random Thought of the Day

I was driving home from work today, knowing that I had to go for a jogette around the village as soon as I got home. I’d not run since Sunday, and I had go out today if I was going to get my three runs in for this week.

Sometimes I really enjoy a run. Lately it’s been hard to find the time, so I’m doing the shortest distances reasonably possible and finding that it’s just hard work.

The two things that keep me pounding away, even though all too often the thought at the end of each run is ‘that was hard’ rather than ‘wow, that was good’, are that 1) it makes walking up hills easier; and 2) I know that if I stop it’ll be a lot harder to build that fitness back when I start again (which I undoubtedly would).

So, on my drive home, I was cheering myself up with the thought that next year, whilst walking the length of the country, I will have a whole three months without having to run once. It was a very pleasing thought!

Hopefully, I’ll even come back itching to lace up those running shoes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment