The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 27 March 2008

Husband's Kit List

In response to my Kit List, Litehiker asked whether I could also post Husband's kit list.

Given that today Husband did his own cataloguing exercise, I can now do that.

This is what it looks like:



This is what is included, which weighs in at 11kg:

Clothes
Socks x3
Terrapants
Terra converts
Icebreaker 150 S/S
Icebreaker 200 L/S
Underpants x2
Montane Featherlight Jacket
Paclite Extrem Jacket
Trekmates Over-Mitts
Montane Atomic Waterproof Trews
Buff
Tilley hat
Extremities Powerstretch Beanie
Rab Powerstretch Gloves
Klattermussen Down Smock
Saloman XA Pro (First 3 weeks only)
Asolo Boots (From week 3 on)
Inov8 Roclite (maybe, as camp shoes)
Orthotics
Spare laces (pair)
Sunglasses

Sleeping
Rab Quantum 250 Endurance
Thermarest Prolite 3
Jagbags Silk Sleeping Bag Liner (if we ever find it!)

Cooking, Eating and Drinking
Tibetan Titanium Mug
M&S Strong Plastic Spoon
MSR Titan Pot
2 litre Platypus
2 litre Platypus Hoser
Up to 10 Dehydrated meals
Flint and steel
Diddy Swiss Army Knife

Personal Care & Hygiene
Poo shovel
Loo paper
Hankies x2
MSR Ultralight Towel

Electrical
Mobile phone
MP3 player
Petzl Tikka Plus Headtorch

Other
Whistle
Compass
Closed Cell Concertina Sitmat
Book
Wallet/Money/Cards
Pacer Poles (Alu)
Aloksak (big size)
Exped Waterproof Rucksack liner
Tent (but which one?!)

And a Osprey Atmos 50 in which to carry it in.

Lighthiker (Roman) also left a very detailed and appreciated set of comments for me to think on. I shall comment on those separately (but first I need to catch up with myself by posting about yesterday's walk).


3 comments:

  1. Wot! No Cheese, Grommit?

    You will start to crave calories later on in your walk - I used to eat a small block of cheese every day! (If it tasted nice I think I would have invested heavily in lard..)

    No chocolate? Peanuts? Brunch bars? The poor lad will starve to death!

    Even drinking gallons of healthy beer and tons of cheese I still lost one and a half pounds in body weight for every week I walked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fear not! I'm not intending to starve Mick (or myself for that matter!).

    Cheese will feature, as will chocolate, nuts, flapjacks and cakes, not to mention breakfast items and lots of other calorific things (who knows, maybe even an occasional drop of red wine to go with the cheese?).

    However, as we're not intending to carry more of those than necessary, but rather pick them up as we go along, they didn't make it onto the kit list (a little misleading weight-wise of course as we will have to carry some quantity of such foods most of the time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will say "Oh NO" but I once again couldn't resist giving my 2 cents worth comments on your husbands gear list...

    - 3 pair of socks...2 will work. If you are brave and really love your husband 1 would be the minimum

    - Terrapants plus Converts. Take the Converts only. They dry out quickly. You can even wear them to dry out.

    - Spare laces. If they are new they will not break. If they break knot them togehter. If that doesn't work cut some lenght of your guylines.

    - Use Crocks or similar as campshoes. Light, comfy and good for river crossings. Yes, they are ugly :-)

    - If I got it right you and your husband each carry a 2L Platypus plus a 2L Platypus hoser. Guess you could leave one Platypus back home or the UK became much dryer than I remember. ;-)

    - Again..could your husbands mobile phone double as a MP3 Player. If not how about one MP3 Player for the two of you?

    - Book? See my comments made on your list. If you insist, maybe one book for both of you (I know that is tough but the other could use the MP3 Player then...)

    That's all.. Surely gives you enough food for thought and blogging material :-0

    All the best for your walk!
    Roman - Lighthiker

    ReplyDelete