The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 24 May 2008

Day 39 - Standedge to Hebden Bridge

(As much as I like this mobile blogging device, every now and then my post doesn't get through for reasons unknown. Fortunately Vic lets me know when this happens. So here's the post I sent at 6pm last night, that got lost somewhere in a black hole):
23 May
Distance: 17 miles

Another fine morning was upon us, but this was a misty one and up on the moors, well my goodness, it was a bit nippy! It was certainly a hat and gloves morning.

It was the wind that was doing it. Every now and then we would find shelter for a few moments (staggering when suddenly finding that we didn't have to lean anymore) and start to overheat. Then the shelter would end and the hats and gloves came back out again.

The prevailing feature today, amongst moors and agricultural land, was the reservoirs. There are certainly plenty of them around these parts.

And, of course, it was the day that we passed Stoodley Pike Monument. It seemed like a good spot for lunch; it turned out to be less so, smelling like a urinal as it did (sardine sandwiches and urine, now there's a smell to behold!).

Before we knew it we were in Hebden Bridge. It was the knowledge of the treats that were in store that caused our fast pace today.

I now sit on Ma-in-Law's sofa. I've soaked in her bath with a glass of red wine to hand. In a few moments we're off out to Halifax's finest Thai. All is well with our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment