The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 13 October 2008

The Mysterious Migration of Kit

“It shouldn’t take too long” I said to Mick “I haven’t put anything away since the last trip”.

Time is pressing on all sides and in amongst the immovable engagements and deadlines we have inflexible train tickets to head up to Milngavie later this week.

With food in the dehydrator, belatedly-washed clothes drying on the rack and a big list of other things to get done, it was time to pack. Once again I was being ridiculously optimistic that, having put nothing back in the kit cupboard, it would all be in one place and easy to locate. Unsurprisingly, the usual state of affairs prevailed: kit had mysteriously migrated into every which corner.

After many repetitions of “Have you seen my XXX”, I’ve given up for tonight.

I’m now printing maps instead.

3 comments:

  1. It's unavoidable Gayle and I thought it was only me that suffered from transmigratory gear. In May this year I decided without exception any items smaller than my sleeping bags(loosed stuffed) would live in a Scarpa Boot box.
    These items now occupy 3 similar boxes for different types of walk, and still I find things have when pre trip packing that things have gone walkabout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi M&G. I'm reading your blog at the same time as watching a program about Chaos Theory! Good luck with your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip you two - 'fraid I won't be able to intercept you this time due to another commitment.
    I know the feeling about the gear - I seem to have to go through every box of kit for every trip. Have you looked in the washing machine?
    All Best
    Martin

    ReplyDelete