The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 31 December 2008


Looks like I was a little premature in posting The Year in Numbers. When I wrote that I had expected to sit on the sofa for the rest of the year. Of course, I did manage to drag myself off the sofa and up a hill. But, in the grand scheme of things, adding 8.75 more miles, 2500 more feet of ascent and 53 more photos don’t really do much to the figures.

I had good plans of setting 2009 off to a flying start (although we’re unlikely to come anywhere near to 2008’s miles or variety). Alas on my way down from Catbells yesterday my knee said ouch. A few steps later it said OUCH and continued to do so the whole way back to Rosthwaite.

A night of rest didn’t cure it. It still hurts, particularly to walk downstairs.

It goes without saying that I’m wholly unchuffed about sudden knee-poorliness (particularly as I didn’t even do anything to warrant it; there was no stumbling or twisting). I’ve plans to walk a small section of the North Downs Way next Wednesday, so that knee needs to make a rapid recovery!


  1. Hope your knee gets better. If it's some kind of ligament problem, you might want to investigate Bioskin knee supports, which were the best help when I had knee problems:

  2. I've got one of those knee supports. Dates from a time when I tried to turn my lower leg through 180 degrees many years ago in a snowboarding incident. Ouch on that occasion too!

    Fortunately I don't think that it's anything serious this time. Doesn't feel like ligaments.

    Managed to walk 3 miles on it on the flat today and it didn't complain, so things are looking good for keeping my date with the North Downs next week. :-)

  3. Monitor that knee carefully:- I had a sudden inexplicable knee pain years ago, typically all was fine for the first half of a day when the walking was climbing or on the flat, then the pain started on the descent. Between walks it was fine too. I went see the physio who gave me a kit to tape it up, hard to describe in words but it held the knee in place from one side only, which was far more effective than an off-the-shelf support that goes right round.
    It took about 10 weeks for the pains to stop completely.