The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 17 June 2010

Standedge to Bleaklow

Distance: 14.5 miles
Weather: another glorious day!

A less waffly post today - I have a dwindling battery supply and need to make sure I have enough power left to facilitate a lift home tomorrow!

It was a leisurely start to the day, before meeting up with Martin & Sue (www.phreerunner.blogspot.com) at 9.30 for the walk over to Crowden. I knew that Crowden was where I was going to stop because I distinctly remember saying so to Martin earlier in the week...

It was Martin who pointed out the possibility of going straight on at Black Moss Reservoir. It was an alternative to repeating a bit of route I've done before so that's what we did, approaching Black Hill from the NW (with only a small amount of yomping required - glad the weather's been dry).

Black Hill was noticeably greener than it was 2 years ago, when it was scattered with seed.

Between Black Hill and Laddow Rocks an exceptionally tasty lunch was had (huge thanks go to Martin and Sue for said tasty lunch - it was very much appreciated). Then we had our feet filmed (wonder what that footage is going to be used for?!) as we passed by the scene of a mountain rescue incident. Helicopter personnel were already on the scene, and over the next half an hour many MRT chaps passed us, rushing to the rescue.

Arriving at the foot of Laddow Rocks, my mind was made up that I couldn't face and entire afternoon sitting in the tent at what is, by reputation, a very midgey campsite. It was only 3pm and that gave a lot of hours to sit in a hot tent on a sunny day.

I would instead continue to Glossop - another long day - and end my walk there.

The plan changed when I spotted a lovely grassy area alongside a lovely stream a few miles later.

So, it was a short day today after all, but ending in a much more pleasing place than Crowden Campsite. Another day of excellent scenery too, under more stunning skies, and made better still by good company.

Definitely a short day tomorrow. I'm not walking beyond Edale!
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you yesterday, as always, Gayle.
    The filming of our feet was clearly to demonstrate the use of Improper Footwear on The Hill.
    You will no doubt be Hung Out To Dry for your use of Flip8s, and there will be no reference to the fact that the lady with the sprained ankle was wearing winter mountaineering boots....
    Enjoy tonight's football!

    ReplyDelete