The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Day 10 - Tattershall to by Stenigot

29 March (0900-1915)
Distance: 19.5 miles (Tot: 181)
Weather: wall-to-wall sun till 3pm then high cloud
Number of killer dogs: 1

Well, that was a day of slow progess!

Having left the frosty campsite intentionally late, Woodhall Spa (a rather nice looking place) proved to be our first distraction of the day, even though we weren't even an hour in. A trip to Boots to buy blister-combat supplies took about a week and a half, by which time Mick had decided that a visit to a tea room was in order. I think it was the novelty of finding a place with a dozen tea rooms, all open for business.

Picking up the Viking Trail, a disused railway line complete with art work (see photos) led us to Horncastle. It was 1pm and we'd walked a whole 9 miles of our intended 20.5.

Horncastle supplied further distractions as Mick got the strap re-attached to his watch, groceries were bought and lunch eaten. It was gone 2 by the time we left.

Progress might then have been swift, except that the two blisters (one on each foot, same place on each) decided to multiply, causing lots of 'just need to look at my foot' stops. By the time we reached Goulceby I had more blisters than I've had in the previous three years combined.

A visit to the pub in Goulceby was in order to get some water for the night and I would have liked to have taken my shoes off, except that the pub dog was intent on chewing my shoes - with me wearing them - and the landlord didn't feel inclined to call his dog off. I don't think I'll be visiting that pub again!

In a highly unusual move, I then decided that we would cut short our day. 19.5 miles of pain on every single step was enough. I'm not sure we picked the most discreet spot, mind. It felt quite secluded until the farmer drove through the field twice (apparently not noticing us).

That probably sounds more doom and gloom than enjoyment, but actually the day was rather good. In particular, we've found contour lines. Indeed, we even went into tripple figures of altitude today, as we passed through lovely rolling patchworkness!

I'm now praying for a miraculous recovery of the feet overnight, otherwise a few rest days are going to be necessary to allow the mess to heal.

(Louise - no-one rushed out of their house offering us tea, so I guess we didn't pass your Mum's house ;-)
Conrad - I was pleased to see that the grid reference you mentioned was off our map - not that it prevented all killer dog incidents! BTW, we lunched yesterday outside the campsite at Chapel Hill, which is from where we were watching the jets take off.)


Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, you're about 8.5 miles SW of mum's, but you'dve had difficulty catching her in, I never can!
    Told you there'd be gentle contours, the patchwork is pretty. So funny reading about places I know. Are the radio masts still at Stenigot/Donington on Bain? (I don't go home much...)
    Do hope your poor feet recover, sore feet are miserable.

    ReplyDelete