The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 16 July 2012

Day 16 - Random Thoughts

A bit of a delayed post here! I wrote this one on 16 June (when we were in the prolonged period without a phone signal) and only just realised that I never posted it.

1) One thing that we've heard a lot today is "It's *so* heavy!". We couldn't resist weighing our packs before we left Kennedy Meadows. Mine was 34lb, Mick's 36lb. That was with six days' food and a couple of litres of water (the first litre of which was drunk in the first few miles). Most people have been on a mission to eat lots of heavy stuff today.

2) It also struck me today that there are few situations, when on a six-day backpack, where I'd be prepared to carry a seat weighing a kilo. Admittedly I'm not carrying a bear canister for the primary purpose of using it for a seat, but it does double nicely for that purpose.

3) I think our acclimatisation to the heat is coming on nicely. Sitting in the shade at lunchtime today, with a good breeze blowing, I had to put my fleece on. My thermometer read 24 degrees!

4) It should be renamed the Cascadia Trail for this season! Over 50% of the people we've met (and Mick's in the club too) are wearing Brookes Cascadia shoes. As I walk behind Mick, I'm following a trail which is a mass of Cascadia footprints (they've got a very distinctive tread). Someone said to me last week that they can always tell when we're just ahead of them as my shoes (Inov8 Terrocs) stand out in the sea of Cascadia prints. I may have to try a pair myself; that many people can't be wrong, and Mick certainly rates them.

5) Big trees! We've seen today the biggest trees we've ever seen in our lives! Mick called me over as he was collecting water this evening just to show me one, and he was quite right to - it was enormous.

6) My soundtrack of the last couple of days has been a cricket-sounding insect. Mick's days have been a bit quieter. It's a very high pitched crickety thing, and outside of Mick's range (I can hear those 'mosquito' deterents they put to stop youths gathering, which are supposed to be inaudible to adults too).


Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

3 comments:

  1. 34 lbs in 24 degrees is above and beyond. I am sure you were aware of the strenuous nature of this walk, but was it harder than you thought it would be?

    I replied to your last comment on my last post just in case you haven't looked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twenty four degrees was the cool day when I needed my fleece. It was usually warmer than that! As to your question, I think that deserves a blog post of its own (which will appear in just a few seconds time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always knew you were a bit nesh...but THAT is truly amazing. Fleece in 24 degree heat. what are you going to think when you are back in the UK? Highs of erm...13-14 C? LOL
    Maike

    ReplyDelete