The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 27 April 2014

Day 2 – after Pentraeth to Bull Bay

Sunday 27 April (0755-1550)

Distance: 20.75 miles (Tot: 40.25)

Weather: early high cloud clearing to give wall-to-wall sunshine

 

That was an absolutely fantastic day of walking! No doubt the weather helped, although the walking was pleasing even before the skies cleared.

It started with a walk back to the coast, taking a different route to my outward one last night, and soon I was passing through a lovely piece of woodland, bedecked with bluebells, and with the sound of the sea crashing just below me.

The path soon became what I picture when I think of a coast path, usually clinging to the edge of the land, and usually with the sea in view. Sometimes I was close to the edge, but shrubbery hid the water from view, but I could still hear it though, crashing as it was at high tide and with the wind behind it.

IMG_6534

Very seldom (in fact, just three short sections all day) I had to take to a road, along one of which I got my only shower of the day, although not from the sky:IMG_6531

I was walking on the left side of the road, but there was quite a breeze behind those waves

Up and down I went, rolling with the land, and at some point during the morning the sky cleared completely, giving a glorious day to set off the stunning scenery nicely.

The only mar on the day (which lasted all of about twenty seconds) was the incident when, whilst distracted from my surroundings by having a quick chat with Mick on the phone, I completely failed to notice the low branch across the path. He was suddenly assaulted with some choice language and I now have a scab atop my bonce.

Until Dulas Bay, I saw just a few dog walkers, and after the busy beach of that Bay to about a mile before Amlwch (a distance of about 7 miles) I saw not a single person out walking. All those views, all to myself! Did I mention how fantastic it was?

I could happily have sat at my lunch spot, which was sheltered from the cool wind, for some hours, but Mick was sitting patiently in a layby, waiting for me, so after a good long pause I pulled myself back to my feet and not long after came to this view (which was far more spectacular that this snap suggests):

IMG_6560

Just after passing the town of Amlwch (which was largely hidden from view from the path), I saw buildings and a road ahead and it didn’t take me long to pick out Colin parked along that road. It took Mick longer to pick me out between the rocks and the lush greenness of the fields beyond.

Tomorrow’s walk looks, on paper, to be as good as today’s, so fingers crossed that the weather plays ball for me.

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up with you. That Anglesy path is high on my to do list. Looks great sofar.

    Monarch Airlines decided to discontinue flights to Bordeaux and then a medical problem arose which could have been serious and took time to sort, but now there is no problem than goodness - so I cancelled the French trip.

    ReplyDelete