The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 6 November 2014

GT Day 11, 7.30am: An Express Train Is Coming At Me!

I was woken about an hour ago by the sound of an express train coming straight for me*. In the last hour, gentle rocking has been joined at regular intervals by sudden buffeting.

I had only planned on a very small hill today, but I’m already thinking of abandoning that plan, as the approach goes through woodland, and I’m not sure woodland is wise in wind like this.

There will certainly be some walking today, as I need to venture into Aviemore to see if I can find a map for my next destination, but I fear that it may otherwise turn into the third Foul Weather Alternative day in four. I suppose those are the perils of holidaying at this time of year as a fair weather walker!

 

(*Those who have never camped at Langdale, or similarly sited valley campsites, in strong winds, may fear that I’m pitched on some train tracks! Fear not – I refer to the sound the wind makes as it comes racing down a valley. At least in Colin, I don’t find myself bracing for impact and worrying about the security of pegs.)

1 comment: