The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 14 November 2014

I Blame Conrad…

Last night I downloaded GPX files giving the locations of the current lists of Munros, Corbetts, Marilyns and Munro Tops*. It’s not something I would have thought to do if it hadn’t been for Conrad, who is convinced that I am teetering on the edge of becoming a confirmed list-ticker. I now have my maps festooned with red crosses, amber triangles, red triangles and red pins (and at some point I may recall without thought which symbol I’ve used for which).

I *really* wish I’d done that before my recent trip. My eye has now been drawn to lots of hills that have had me thinking “Oooh, I’d like to take a closer look at that one.”. Ideas for future trips are springing into my head accordingly.

For the avoidance of doubt, I still have no intention of aiming towards the completion of any of those lists … but I am liking having these symbols as focus points on the map.

 

(*The files for these and many other classifications of hill are downloadable from www.haroldstreet.org.uk, with a request for a £1 donation per file, which seems a very reasonable request to me.)

1 comment:

  1. the symptoms are becoming more evident by the day - ineluctable spiral (virtuous, though): a terminal case - no escape once it has you in its grip.

    ReplyDelete