The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 30 June 2021

Mount Keen

Monday 28 June
Start: Car park at Invermark
Distance: 17.8km
Ascent: 690m


For a number of reasons, it was desirable for a TGO Challenge Control contingent to operate at Invermark for a couple of days this week, and yesterday afternoon it was Mick & I who were nominated for the task. Arriving via a chat with two Challengers in Tarfside, I immediately set about making us some lunch. Then Mick suggested that if I was going up Mount Keen then I'd best get on with it. 

The previous day I'd hatched various potential plans that started with Mount Keen (939m), was moderated to Hill of Wirren (678m), then became further moderated to Hill of Rowan (380m). All of those plans were, however based upon us being parked in Tarfside, rather than Invermark. Spurred on by Mick's comment,I had a little think and rued the size of lunch I'd just eaten as I concluded that being parked so close to Mount Keen, and being there being no requirement for both of us to be present at Challenge 'Remote Control' (as we dubbed it), it would be silly for me not to grab the opportunity.

So, I jogged out to Queen's Well and marched up the hill from there (via a chat with another Challenger), very much appreciated the stunning surroundings, the good weather and the views those two elements were affording me. 

After a few minutes at the top, enjoying the views, the warmth and the lack of wind, but not enjoying the flies, I turned around and jogged back down (via a chat with another Challenger).

I've commented a few times about how often Munros, with their baggers' paths, are easier propositions than much smaller pathless hills. I reckon you'd go a long way to find a hill easier to bag than Mount Keen from the south, with an engineered path, with few steep sections, leading the whole way to the top. 

(2h31)

6 comments:

  1. I remember feeling very fit (for me) and more or less ran up and down: 5th May 2007

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the one hand I look forward to going back to running more normal distances again, but on the other hand it'll be a shame to lose the fitness that makes trotting up and down hills like this with relative ease.

      Delete
  2. By the way, love that anthropomorphic photo of Bertie. The All Seeing Eye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that Bertie isn't as observant as his big eyes make him look!

      Delete
  3. Yes, Mount Keen isn't the hardest of walks, but it's much longer than some of the summits accessed from the Cairnwell Pass.
    Well done, and good luck with your Lakes 50.

    ReplyDelete