The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 28 February 2007

Maps

Groan. Looking at my scanned maps this morning, I realised that I don’t have the full set for the Cumbria Way. When I scanned these a couple of years ago, one of the maps I only had in 1:50000, whereas I would prefer to take (and now have the missing map at) 1:25000.

That means that I have to unbury the scanner sometime in the next four weeks and do battle with a very large piece of paper on a very small glass surface. It’s not a job I look forward to doing, but I’m not prepared to carry entire maps and I don’t want to make do with 1:50,000 when I own the bigger scale. Four weeks sounds like a long time in which to do such a simple job. Somehow (maybe the fact that we’re busy every weekend between now and then?) I just know that I’m going to be doing battle with the scanner at the same time as trying to dehydrate food at the same time as packing in three and a half weeks from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment