The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 22 May 2007

Random Thoughts: Dry Food, A Backpack, A Trip and A Computer

The dehydrator was on overnight, working on some fruit (we seemed to have a surfeit of bananas and mangoes, plus some pineapple that needed to be used). I’ve read before that it’s not possible to over-dry food, however I’m definitely finding that, when drying at 70 degrees, it’s possible to dry it for so long that it takes on a hint of a burnt flavour. It would have been fine had I swapped the top and bottom trays half way through the drying time but, alas, I didn’t make the effort at 2am this morning, so we’ll just have to put up with slightly burnt mango.

Said fruit should hopefully come in handy this weekend. The plan is for a short backpacking trip in Wales. I’ve delegated the route planning to Husband on this one, so I’ve no idea where we will be going (neither does he at this time; I don’t believe that he’s given the subject any thought yet, but hopefully he’ll make some moves towards a tentative plan by the end of tomorrow).

What I am intent on doing this weekend, no matter where we end up, is using my brand new 35 litre pack, rather than my usual 50 litre. Next year I’m hoping to squeeze everything that I need for 3 months into the space of a 35 litre, so hopefully a short night or two away will present no problems.

I did a test pack in the 35 litre when we got back from the Cumbria Way and happily fitted everything that I needed for a week in there, except my bulky down jacket (which won’t feature on next year’s packing list), so for the weekend coming I should find that I have lots of room to spare. I shall report back next week.

Also coming with me on the weekend will be my new (by which I mean old and second hand, but new to me) Psion 5. The Psion 3c used on the Cumbria way proved to have keys far too small to be able to type properly, so I’ve upgraded to a model with a sensible keyboard. I’ve finally given up on Tronisoft ever supplying the cable that I paid for nearly two months ago, or indeed responding to my complaints, so have ordered a replacement cable from elsewhere. Fingers crossed that it arrives by the end of the week, then I won’t have to go through the pain of having to retype my notes when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment