The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 30 July 2007

Terrocs - RIP

After the wet-footed trip in the Rhinogau at the end of May (the weekend of the naked rambler encounter, as it will forever be in my memory), I declared that I was still wholly unconvinced with the Terrocs, but that I would persist with them in the hope that I would at some point get to like them. I intended to try them with waterproof socks before I gave up on them.

During our trip to the Lakes in late June, I found that both of my Terrocs had developed a hole in the inside of the heel cup. With less than150 miles of use, I was rather disappointed by that.

For reasons unknown, I didn’t put them in the bin straight away, and for further reasons unknown I opted to wear them for our walk yesterday.

We had gone less than 2 miles when I realised that the uneven surface on the inside of the heel, caused by the fabric around the hole rucking up, was rubbing against my foot.

A short while later I to be found sitting on a tow-path, applying plasters to my heels.

There’s no point in having a pair of shoes that are chewing up my feet each time I wear them, no matter how comfortable the fit is. So, with under 150 miles of use on them, the Terrocs have been retired.

Next on my list to try is the Saloman XA Pro, which I’ve tried on a couple of times. It’s not as nice a fit as the Terroc, but it’s probably worth a try. However, the non-XCR ones cause me a bit of an issue. Whilst I’m by no means a fashion victim (see
http://gayleybird.blogspot.com/2007/03/colour-co-ordination.html), I’m struggling with adding a pair of bright red shoes to my collection of mis-matched colours. Perhaps this is a good time to try out the waterproof trail-shoe option, by getting the much more pleasantly coloured XCR?

No comments:

Post a Comment