The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 16 August 2007

To Finish Talking About Last Weekend - Before Next Weekend Is Upon Us

Gosh. Thursday already and I’ve not finished talking about my weekend yet.

So, back to Saturday evening, which started with a nice meal with friends. Returning home, taking two of those friends with us (let’s call them V&J, for ease of reference), it was time for the receipt of yet more birthday gifts.

And what fantastic gifts they were.

My wish-list included an entry for the Wainwright Pictorial Guides to the Lakeland Fells, which are woefully missing from my (bulging) bookshelves. I thought that, if I was lucky, I may receive one or two of the volumes. What I didn’t expect to receive was all seven of them as a box set.

Despite having walked many of the Lakeland fells as a child, the Wainwright guides didn’t feature in my family, so I’ve never before had more than a quick flick through any of them. I’m now very much enjoying a good browse.

The other gift was the expected Pacerpoles (just a day too late in arriving to get their first test in the Beacons). I’m pleased to report that the carbon version does look sufficiently different from the standard version (different markings, different coloured chord) for me not to feel like Husband and I are ‘his & hers matching’. With a bit of magic and if I indulge in a bit of sleep deprivation, I may find time this weekend to take them for a very short walk over local fields.

Perhaps due to the influence of a small quantity (as large buckets go) of wine, the late hours of the evening seemed like an appropriate time for a session of ‘show and tell’ on the subject of backpacking, as we progressively emptied our packs over the living room floor.

V&J sat very patiently, oohed and aahed in appropriate places as we showed them what it was that we carried and listened politely as we raved about the joys of walking and wild camping.

I’m hoping that we’ve not applied undue influence, for although they didn’t jump for joy at the thought of camping, on Tuesday they asked for a gear list of what they’ll need for a B&B based walking trip. Having answered that question, I’ve today put a parcel of reading matter and maps in the post to them to give them a starter for ten. Having enticed them this far, wherever they decide to go for their first foray into this walking malarkey, I do hope that they enjoy it!



No comments:

Post a Comment