The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 29 December 2007

The Outrageous Spoiling of Gayle E Bird

- Paramo Cascade Trews
- Mountain Equipment Microzip T Fleece
- Extremities Powerstretch Gloves
- Extremities Powerstretch beanie
- Girly set of Icebreaker baselayers
- 2 litre Platy Hoser, plus shut-off valve

- Sealskin Socks
- Smartwool socks (medium and heavy cushion)
- Superfeet Green
- Tinder Paper
- Huntley & Palmer Expedition Biscuits
- Emergency whistle
- Whistle with integrated compass, thermometer and magnifier
- White Spider by Heinrich Harrer
- ‘Great Walks of the National Parks’
- Cumbria Way guidebook

Ridiculous as it is, that’s not my current wish list, but rather is the outdoor related booty that was given to me this week by way of Christmas gifts. I’m a very lucky girl – not to mention spoiled and over-indulged to an outrageous degree this year!

Now I just need to get out there to use it.

Hope you all had a good festive time of over-indulgence yourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Gayle- if the Cumbria Way is on your list of 2008 to-do drop me a mail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's a lucky girl, then!!! What did Husband get? A pair of washing up gloves and a pinny? lol

    I've done the Cumbria Way as well -assuming you start at Ulverston, it's great, apart from the end, a grotty walk into Carlisle. I did it an unusual way - started in Ulverston and walked north to Keswick and then went to Carlisle and walked south to Keswick (let's not go into detail but I can recommend this way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Husband got as outrageous, or maybe moreso, a haul than did I.

    We actually walked the Cumbria Way ourselves last March. The person who bought us that book didn't know that.

    It's been interesting reading it anyway - and tempting to go and walk it again, but we're resisting on the basis that we should go and walk some other places first.

    ReplyDelete