The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 17 June 2008

Day 64 - Gleann Nam Meann to Killin

17 June
Distance: about 17.5 miles
Number of close encounters with bulls: 1

The rain that started just as I was finishing up cooking tea yesterday continued through the night and into this morning. The only time it let up was just as we were about to take the tent down, when it gave a ten minute respite.

Fortuitous timing you may think, except that as the rain stopped out came the midges. Call me picky, but I'd rather have the rain.

The rain duly started again and my goodness did it come down?

By the time we got to Balquhidder, only about 6 or 8 miles into our day, I was thinking that if it was going to continue as it was then an early B&B would be an attractive option.

Pushing such defeatist thoughts aside we carried on through the village and after a brief sojourn for elevenses in the church porch we set out up Glen Kirkton.

By near the top of the pass I was tired and wet and sinking into misery, added to which I'd discovered a leak in my right boot. Oh, and the blister I developed under my little toe yesterday had reformed nicely in the wet boot.

Then we got over the top of the pass and quite unexpectedly the rain stopped and out came the sun. The world was suddenly a rosier place.

A noise made us look up as we made our way down the glen, and there silhouetted on the ridge above us was a huge herd of deer.

Alas, perfection was short-lived. Down came the rain again, accompanying us our final five miles into Killin.

Having decided that we'll have a rest day here we stopped at the first B&B we passed (which explains why we only walked 17.5 miles not the expected 20). Tomorrow we'll walk to the furthest campsite, on the other side of the town, which will put us in a good position to set out again on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment