The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 26 December 2009

Sunshine

A perfect day for a walk around here today, and we did manage to drag ourselves away from the chocolate and mince pies for long enough to take a shuffle around the block.

I don’t know how many photos I’ve taken over the years of the view down to the church from the main estate track, but I couldn’t resist another one with today’s perfect sky:

IMG_0350a Thankfully the ground was still frozen solid in most places, turning the recent mud-fest that has featured on this route lately into a hard (and somewhat slippery) surface.

As is usually the case at this time of year, it seemed like half of the village had tucked its trousers into its socks to take a stroll. We even saw people on the less obvious field paths where I have never before encountered anyone (and this is a route that I do a lot).

Tomorrow (Sunday) we’re going to venture out onto Cannock Chase – perhaps for the last time this year (although it will only be a few days before we venture over there for the first time next year). If anyone’s around and fancies a 8.5 mile amble then we’ll be leaving the car park on Penkridge Bank by Rifle Range Corner (at SK001168) at 10am.

5 comments:

  1. Cannock Chase was surprising on my LEJOG walk -unique in the UK. I got slightly lost there, but enjoyed random trees and semi moorland. As I write at 10:30pm I am disgustingly full of fillet steak, trifle and Stilton cheese, but earlier I booked my flight from Liverpool to Carcasonne for 25th May for my intended walk through The Languedoc and The Cevennes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I sit here in front of the Computer,I feel like a stuffed Turkey after eating all that Xmas food.I really really would liked to have joined you on this walk but my wife has pinched the car to get more food supplies in for the arrival of my daughters boyfriend who has come all the way over from Australia to visit for Xmas.Anyway,enjoy the walk and all the best for the New Year.JEFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conrad - The Chase is indeed a spectacular area, and we have to be careful to remember that and not start taking it for granted with having it so near to us. It certainly gives a pleasant change to the farmland that is on our doorstep.

    Your trip to France next year sound exciting. You originally said 5 or 6 weeks - have you booked a return ticket or are you just going to wander as far as you feel like wandering?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff - pity you couldn't join us, even if it was a bit busy and a bit slippery! I'm going to be a lady-of-leisure as of 15 January (and Mick's already a man-of-leisure), so why don't we pick a date to finally take a turn on the Chase with you some time after that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gayle,I would love to join you both for a days walking on the Chase.I work just a couple of days per week and am usually free on Mondays and Tuesdays,How about Monday 18th January(Can't do Tuesaday19th) or Monday 25th or Tuesday 26th. Please give me a call on 01782642701 if you wish to discuss.Thanks for your kind invite.

    ReplyDelete