The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 8 January 2010

Shuffling In The Snow

Taking myself for a shuffle around the block this afternoon it was evident that only one other person had walked the path across the first field since it snowed on Tuesday night. There were two sets of prints, one in each direction, and I knew to whom they belonged. Whilst I was looking at the snow falling heavily in London on Wednesday afternoon, Mick took himself for a turn around the block.*

I didn’t take the camera today, and I don’t usually subject you to too many repetitive photos of the local circuit, but as those Mick took on Wednesday are so nicely wintery, under such a startling sky, that I think they’re worthy of sharing:

Down the track to the fields:

IMG_0398a

Only Mick’s footprints as he looks back at the first field (two days later and there’s now two sets of Mick’s prints and two of mine)

IMG_0399a

The overgrown lane – vastly more passable now that it’s winter. Must take the shears down there when the weather warms up.

IMG_0401a

The other end of the overgrown lane. The gates at each end don’t open, so as well as clambering over the undergrowth, there’s clambering over the gates to be done too.

IMG_0402a

Cold pond

IMG_0403a

What are all the sheep eating, given that the grass is covered?

IMG_0407a

Yet another photo of the church. I rather like this one.

IMG_0408a

Rather more feet have passed over this path. The local slope suitable for tobogganing bank is just off to the right.

IMG_0409a

Through a narrow strip of woodland (cold trees!)IMG_0411a

Solo tree (with one juvenile National Forest plantation just visible on the left, and another not quite obvious on the right)

IMG_0413a

White patchworkness

IMG_0416a

* It’s not like Mick to take himself off for a walk by himself, but the reason was soon explained when he mentioned some statistic he had gleaned from his new toy, that he had bought on Tuesday. Not sure that a walk with a total of 200 feet of ascent is really the best place to try out a new altimeter though!

1 comment:

  1. I have an inbuilt altimeter, of sorts - it's that thumpy thing that leaps out of my chest cavity when I am going up hill. It eases off when I am going down hill.

    No batteries required, either!

    Word = "vinterer"

    ReplyDelete