The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 12 September 2010

Sore Thighs On The Chase

Yesterday’s fast walk on the lumpiness of the Chase (after 2 weeks of doing nothing and 2 months of no hills), followed by my small jogette last night, followed by another couple of hours at a blazing pace on the Chase this morning may have been a bit much. I’m not sure that the gardening I did when I got home was entirely wise either. My thighs are protesting quite vocally just now!

As I wasn’t causing Mick to have to loiter in a car park for me today, I took the time to take a few photos.

My attempts to capture the colour of the heather and the greenness of everything else (the bracken is only just starting to die off) failed pretty miserably in their intention: IMG_1827

The colour was much more vibrant than this photo would suggest 

IMG_1828

Heather, greenness and blue sky – a good combination

 IMG_1830

Taking a different route to usual today I passed this man-made pool in the beck

Sometime during our Big Walk earlier this year, a series of new signs appeared on the Chase. The bit at the top sets out various useful information for the event of emergencies, and that I understand. But why, if there’s all that text, is there not a short description of the route being marked by the arrows? IMG_1831 Apparently, where I had just come from was the long route:

IMG_1832But where I was heading was apparently on the short route:

IMG_1833 If only I knew to where it was the long or the short route!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations. You got out!
    Lots more trips planned in these heady days of sunshine, warmth, and the onset of Autumn and its wonderful colours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to plan lots and lots of trips for the autumn. Unfortunately working full time (boo hiss!) is rather limiting the time available to me. I will be making a special effort to get out on the Chase over the next couple of months though, to make sure that I don't entirely miss the turning of the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new signs have the grid reference on them. The first time I saw them I was comparing it with the output of my GPS and ending up like the guy with two watches who is never quite sure what time it is.

    ReplyDelete