The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 24 October 2010

So New; So Close

One of the things I like about Geocaching is how it can drag me to places I wouldn’t have ordinarily have thought to go.

Today was a good example. Last night a visit to the Geocaching website revealed a cache within a sensible jogging distance (on my scale of sensible distances, not on Mick’s rather larger scale!), so this morning, under clear blue skies, off I set to find it.

We’ve lived in this village for over 8 years, and yet as I huffed and puffed my way along, I realised that never before had I been along these lanes. Delightfully quiet lanes they were too. In half an hour I was passed by two cars.

Even better, arriving at the cache site, I found not just a Geocache but a local nature reserve that has recently been established with permissive paths through the surrounding fields. I must go back some time to explore further.

And all without straying more than 1.5 miles from the front door!

No comments:

Post a Comment