The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 5 February 2011

Did It Wear Off That Quickly?

Last week I observed that there was an unusually high number of people out on Cannock Chase and that many were clutching maps or guide books.

Today couldn’t have been more of a contrast. Remarkably few people were seen during our five hours of leg-stretching and of those we did see most were in the three sizeable groups we passed (one of those groups being 26 people on horseback – an unusual sight).

Was it that Cannock Chase hasn’t received so much publicity this week?

Or was it that few people felt inclined to go out on such a wet and windy day?

1 comment:

  1. I love to go out on the Chase during the weekdays, it's always so much quieter. I can sit swinging in my hammock for hours and not see another soul...

    ReplyDelete