The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 2 September 2011

Sourton to beyond Launceston

Distance: 20 miles
Number of wannabe killer cows: 1 frisky herd

That's a picture of Becks (jadeandbecksbigwalk.blogspot.com), taken this afternoon, as she crossed into the last county of her walk.

It's a long story as to how we came to be here with her for this leg of the walk, but hopefully we'll be with her until almost the finish.

Hopefully Jade will be back walking on Sunday too. We saw her yesterday and she's still hobbling, but determined to get back walking if she possibly can.

As for today, it was gloriously warm and sunny and a fine day for walking past Dartmoor and onwards to Cornwall. As Becks is walking almost the same route (albeit in reverse) as we did in 2008, there have been many utterances of 'oooh, do you remember this bit' (often followed by a Gandalf-esque 'I have no memory of this place').

Tomorrow is across Bodmin. Mick won the toss and gets to walk all the way with Becks, whilst I drive to the other side and walk back to meet them. Hopefully we'll rendezvous on Brown Willy, and hopefully the weather will be clear. I'm not holding out too much hope for the latter as I've asked a few people today whether they've heard a forecast, and every single one has said it's going to rain.

(Hmmm, there are a lot of 'hopefullys' in this post. I either need to get a thesaurus or type my blog posts earlier in the day!)

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment