The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday, 31 December 2011

Patterdale Day 4

Friday 30 December

It was not a stormy night! All was calm and dry, hence we sprang out of bed bright and early this morning (relatively, we are on holiday after all) ready for another hill.

The rain started just as we left the campsite and even dithering for an hour in the car park by the Kirkstone Inn didn't make it stop, so eventually, with time marching on, off we set. Red Screes was our first of two targets for the morning and from the map it looked like it would be a quick outing.

What I hadn't banked on was how much the temperature had dropped overnight, and how snowy and icy it was on the way up Red Screes. The extra care needed slowed us down considerably.

The rain at the pass was soon falling on us as snow, and so it continued as we made fresh tracks all the way to the summit. We had met one family on our way up, but with three young children in tow, they had decided that the summit wasn't for them today. Quite right too - some of those scrambly bits required perhaps a bit more care than you would entrust to a five-year-old.

With no view to admire we didn't tarry long atop Red Screes. For the first time since I'd put my boots on, blood was threatening to return to my toes, so I was anxious to keep moving. By the time we reached Middle Dodd my toes were back with me, but we still didn't tarry very long because there still wasn't much to see.

Having followed the trodden path for a while down the north spur (during which time we descended enough for the snow to turn back to rain), off we veered to take a route that Wainwright would not have recommended. It was a tad steep.

Knees were grumbling by the time we hit the valley, where the rain was getting heavier. Pausing only to shove mini chocolate bars into our mouths, we barely broke stride on the return to the car park.

With rain/snow having fallen during the entire 2.5 hours we were out, we were two very soggy people by the time we reached Colin and, having stripped off the wet stuff and donned dry stuff, the kettle was set upon the stove. A steaming mug of hot chocolate washed lunch down nicely.

Tonight we've moved location (by lack of available pitches in Patterdale, not by choice). Tomorrow, if the weather clears up just a little bit, there'll be just one more hill before we wend our way home.

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange


  1. I am enjoying your little end of year trip enormously - I hope there will be photos - particularly of Colin.......

    Happy New Year to you both!

  2. It's really good to read someone's adventures, particularly as I have failed spectacularly to get out in the last week!

    All the best for 2012, really looking forward to your Alpacan Tales! ;-D

  3. Laura - Happy New Year to you too! I'm afraid that there aren't going to be many photos of this trip, by the fact that Colin looked after my camera the whole time we were away. Mick did take a few snaps, so once I locate his camera, I'll see what we've got.

    Louise - I'll have to update you. The Alpacan Plan has been ditched in favour of something far more interesting and exciting - slightly further west...

  4. Entertaining stuff!

    The weather has featured in a lot of reports lately - mostly in terms of heavy rain and high winds. Snow seems like an absolute bonus even if in short supply!

    BTW - loved the lying-down-coz-we-couldn't-stand-up comment of a couple of posts ago!