The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 25 November 2013

Stuff, Nonsense and Mouldy Wet Dog

It may have been something of an error to go slogging on the penultimate day of our holiday.

By the very nature of slogging, our shoes got wet, and as the entire walk was below water level, they didn't get the chance to dry out during any subsequent walking.

Arriving at our hotel last night, the car already stank of wet shoes, but as our room had a balcony we thought it was to be a short-lived issue.

Alas, such was their wetness (and our lack of newspaper) that even an airy night of 20+ degrees wasn't enough to get them dry (and I'll gloss over the condition of the socks!).

Today has been mainly driving and, on the couple of occasions when we have left the car, we have been overwhelmed by the fumes when we have returned.

I just hope we can get those shoes dry tonight or I hate to think what our suitcase will be like when we get home.

-----------

As an aside, we are now in Tarpon Springs, where the Greek bakery has made me wish that we had skipped Naples last night and headed straight up here. We've made a good effort on sampling the cakes in one sitting, but two days of cake eating would have been preferable. Yum!

8 comments:

  1. Ahh, cake. Now that's something I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like that bakery. I should have taken photos. Never have I seen so many cake options in one place.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got to Tarpon Springs - the cake shop / cafe opposite the quay is truly wonderful.
    There are some nice eateries in the back streets of Tarpon Springs - watch your waistlines!
    If you get the chance you should call into the Dunedin Brewery Pub which isn't too far from Tarpon Springs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too late for waistline watching at this point. Too late for Dunedin too, as we fly home today. We did visit the Tarpon Tavern last night though (not that I can comment on their wide selection of ale, cuz I drank lemonade).

      Delete
  3. The best use for the Tampa Tribune is for stuffing wet shoes, although I gather someone in Clearwater actually reads it.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, a couple of copies of a free newspaper I picked up last night (didn't even look what it was called, but it was printed on really course newsprint with excellent absorbent qualities) made it into our shoes last night. The shoes are now damp rather than wet. Dry would have been better.

      Delete
  4. Pleased to see you back - have you deleted any memory of 26 August to 17 November? - and have a good trip home. You can take your wet shoes off on the flight, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sept and Oct were remarkable for their unblogworthiness (that is a real word, isn't it?)

      I'm pleased to report that we do have dry shoes for the flight. I think we would have received complaints from half the passengers if we'd had to wear the smelly damp ones!

      Delete