The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday, 16 September 2014

WCP: New Quay to Llanrhystud


Tuesday 16 September (0725-1400)

Distance: 16.2 miles

Ascent: A wholly more reasonable 2500’

Weather: Wall-to-wall sunshine


I had contemplated having a lie in this morning, as the day looked, on paper, to be comparatively easy and thus there was no call for an early start. I was happy, however, with my decision to go out at my usual time, as I enjoyed the absolute peace and quiet of the early morning.

There were no boats on the water, no cars to be heard on the nearby lanes and (of course) no other people on the coast path (I wasn’t to pass anyone, other than dog-walkers on the beach at New Quay, until a few minutes before 10am). The peace wasn’t shattered until I wound my way back down to sea level in New Quay, where an industrial unit was turning rocks in an open-air washing-machine-esque piece of equipment. It was only 8am and it was making a heck of a noise. although I was soon back out of earshot.

Had the tide been lower or receding when I approached the beach on my way out of New Quay, I would have omitted a bit of distance and road walking, but as it wasn’t lower or receding I went the long way around, to join the beach further along, rather than risking an accidental paddle. A while later I acquired a dog who decided that it would prefer to come with me rather than continue with its owner. It finally turned back just before I left the beach, no doubt much to its (hollering) owner’s relief.

Just before Aberaeron (a very well-presented town, with colourful houses), Mick joined me for the walk back into town, where Colin and elevenses awaited me. It was the bonus for me caused by tonight’s campsite having an uncommonly late check-in time, leaving Mick in campsite limbo.

Lunch was had on the metal steps which were to take me away from the shingle beach at Llanon. Two minutes after restarting I discovered a bench just after the top of those steps. Always annoying when that happens!

There were only 3 miles to be walked after lunch and Mick joined me for the final one, which wasn’t the most inspiring walking of the day, being along lanes on an inland diversion to a bridge. He missed out on the rollingness (as contrasted to yesterday’s violent ruggedness) where gorse and bracken (and in places wild roses) abounded. There were still blackberries and sloes, but not in the same quantities as yesterday.

(I apologise for the poor composition of today’s snapshot of Aberaeron harbour. I really should have moved so as not to include the pole in the foreground!)

No comments:

Post a Comment