The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 27 December 2015

Bishop Wilton Wold (SE822570)

There we were, driving along the A166 towards Bridlington just around sunset this afternoon, when I thought "I recognise this place". Funny how you can recognise a bit of road when your only experience of it was in crossing it when walking a Big Walk the best part of 5 years ago. 

A bell then sounded somewhere in the depths of my brain and, as I scrabbled around for a map and my Hill Lists App I asked Mick to pull over if he could see somewhere suitable to park. You see, five years ago we passed within a few hundred yards (linear) and a few feet (vertical) of the top of a Marilyn, but at that time I didn't know that because Conrad hadn't,  at that time, led me astray into collecting them.

A most suitably positioned layby presented itself, the Hill Lists App confirmed the exact location of the spot I was seeking and away through a thin point in a hedge I headed. A few minutes later I was back, mission complete.

The stats for the outing must have been in the region of 100 yards walked with about 10' of up. Yep, it's quite close to the main road is that wooded tumulus which is the recognised top of this 'hill' ('higher ground' would be a more fitting description for this one).

It may not have been a significant conquest physically but it was significant numerically as I have now visited the top of half of the English Marilyns.

2 comments:

  1. I have that one ticked off on my list but I have not the slightest recollection of doing it - must have ticked by mistake. I feel honour bound to go and do it, but what a trail for such an insignificant pimple. I will have to do some research and incorporate a visit to something else of interest int he area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not one to go out of your way for, but as pimples in the middle of fields (and next to main roads) go, it's not a bad one, thanks to the wooded tumulus.

      Delete