The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 30 May 2016

Innerdouny Hill and Lendrick Hill

This is going to have to be a very quick blog post. Having arrived home last night, I’m planning on setting out tomorrow morning to collect some more hills and, at 8.30pm, I haven’t even started looking at which hills and in what order.

Innerdouny Hill (NO032073; 497m)
image

We woke in fog. Most of my ascent was in fog. Even as I approached the trig it hadn’t quite cleared…
20160529_093426
…but by the time I got there the views had opened up in most directions:
20160529_093631

Cunningly taken selfie so as to cut off the sticky-up bits of hair!

5.8 miles, 950’

Lendrick Hill (NO019037; 456m)
image

I’d noted duff information about this one, but in my favour, as I found that the break I needed to take through the forest was much nearer to my starting point than expected.

20160529_113041
It was steep going through the break, and sometimes slippery with that mossy stuff which doesn’t adhere to the earth below it
 
It was a good hill to finish the trip, as once out of the forest, the views were superb:

20160529_113826
And once again my hat hid the hair situation nicely:
20160529_113847
I couldn’t decide in which direction to take the selfie, so took two:
20160529_113854
Then I ran back down, except for the steep bit through the forest break, which I took rather more cautiously. I hate to think what was going through the mind of the chap I passed on the forest track when he saw some mad woman running towards him in a Tilley Hat, with thick trousers rolled (at unequal lengths) up above her knees, and poles in her hands. The look on his face and his failure to return my greeting suggested that he was a bit taken aback either by me or my appearance.

Back down at Colin, coffee and an early lunch was accompanied by the entertainment of a Mini rally passing by. The oldest dated back to the early sixties; the newest just a few years old. Some sounded healthier than others. Some tooted and waved, perhaps thinking we were sitting there because of the Minis passing, rather than it being incidental to our day. Even though it was incidental, it was quite good fun to watch them passing:

20160529_121017
And then we drove the 300 miles home, which took all of the rest of the day and most of the evening too.

2.3 miles; 700'.

1 comment:

  1. Such fun! Still giggling at the thought of the poor man... So, on with the next adventure 😄

    ReplyDelete