The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 20 April 2017

Muncaster Fell

At the end of my post about our short backpack around Wasdale I made reference to having followed our large lunch with another hill, and said that I would write about it separately. I then completely forgot. It was only this morning, when I read Mike's report about the very same hill (northernpies.blogspot.com) that my memory was jogged.

As you'll have gathered from the post title, the hill in question was Muncaster Fell, which I visited on my solo trip around the Lakes last June. It was some months later when I came to log my ascent on hill-bagging.co.uk that I found that, subsequent to my visit, someone had picked up the summit and moved it by a good few hundred metres. A revisit was thus in order and as we were so close by, it would have been silly not to tack it onto the end of the Wasdale trip. This time Mick had the pleasure of bagging the high point of this nobbly ridge too.

Here he is at the trig point. There seems to be a concensus of opinion that irrespective of last year's survey, the nobble on which sits the trig still looks higher than the new summit.


And here's me on one of a couple of rocks that I thought valid contenders for the highest point on the new summit:


I have no recollection of the exact stats as to distance and ascent, but it was all very straightforward, with only a couple of minor boggy obstacles to negotiate.

No comments:

Post a Comment