The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 10 May 2010

New Shoes!

If you cast your minds back 450 miles, when we were in Halifax, I switched from my Salomon XA Pros, which had aggravated my achilles, to a pair of Inov8 Terrocs, which were the only shoes I could find that were sufficiently low cut to avoid the swollen bit of tendon.

My past experience with the durability of Inov8 has not been good, and the problem is always the same: I wear through the inside of the heels.

This pair was no exception, except that they lasted much longer before they holed (and when they did hole those holes didn't cause any rubbing, as has been a problem in the past).

With those holes having appeared, a week ago I decided that they wouldn't last the distance (although I wouldn't be surprised if I could have got another 50 or 100 miles out of them - the uppers are fine and there's still some sole left). Vic came to the rescue and ordered a new pair for me, to meet me here in Morvich.

Today I picked up my new shoes, and horror of horrors, I've found that the design has changed!

On further inspection, it looks like the changes will be for the better. In particular, the stiff bit at the side of the ankle, which I've always found to dig into my ankle bone when side on to a hill, has been lowered, with extra padding making up the rest of the height.

Just to be sure, I'll carry my old pair for a couple of days before I bin them. In the meantime I'll try not to obsess about how stiff and new the new pair feel. The old pair were worn in so nicely that they really were like slippers.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment