The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 2 March 2011

East to West Preparations

With just two and a half weeks to go until the off, we are woefully ill prepared. That we are both still working (contrary to all original plans) has not helped. We will of course be ready on time, although it will likely all get a bit frantic any day now.

More progress has been made today. Since I got home from work:

- six servings of meat pasta sauce have been cooked and are currently in the dehydrator;

- six servings of veggie pasta sauce have been cooked, of which four are in the dehydrator (ran out of dehydrator space at that point)

- eight tons of washing up has been washed (that’s the problem with doing two batches of food at once)

- One batch of brownies has been cooked (nothing to do with walk preparation, but I felt like I deserved something chocolaty after all the monster cook-fest mentioned above)

- Maps have been printed as far as Barnard Castle.

Tonight, more work on the maps.

Tomorrow I will try to work out what kit we need to buy (off the top of my head: at the moment I have no trousers, and I think that we only have one pair of new socks between us), and maybe I’ll finally get around to cataloguing what we’ve already dehydrated so that I can get a feel for how much is left to be done.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gayle,
    Exciting times. Stomach turning over a bit?
    I know that you will blog as you go and we are looking forward to reading the walk.
    It also leads me to a question that you may be able to help me with.
    On my Blackberry curve i can go to my blog and log in. When i click on comments i can read what people have said. But i don’t have the white reply box on my phone screen to be able to reply to the comments like i would if it was on the PC.
    I think Martin Banfield has a similar issue, if not the same with his. Do you have any suggestions or am i missing a set up stage out?
    I am new to Blackberry blogging.

    i hope you understand this and any help would be great. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan,

    I'm pleased to say that the stomach isn't churning. I'm definitely in the land of 'frantic' rather than 'nervous'!

    'Fraid I can't help you with the Blackberry question. Being on Pay As You Go, and only having internet included in months when I top up (which isn't that often), I don't tend to use the internet from my phone, and I've never tried commenting on Blogger from my phone. I post my posts via email, and receive all comments via email, and respond to comments at the end of my blog posts, thus avoiding going online at all (which in turn helps my battery last for longer, which is always a bonus).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks anyway Gayle. At least you have given me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete