The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 28 August 2011

East to West Photos: Day 14

Mick:

2 April (0655-1235)

Distance: 16.5 miles (Tot: 251) (Before Brantingham to by Shiptonthorpe)

Weather: overcast, some light showers, warm, bit breezy

 Gayle:

Easter Sunday, 24 April (0810-1305)

Distance: 14 miles

Weather: high cloud, a few sunny intervals, warm again

This was the day that Mick described, in a text message to me, as being ‘much pimpled’, which, once translated from the language of iPhone auto-correct, turned out to mean that it was much lumpier. Sure enough, as I set out on my day I was soon huffing and puffing up a violent undulation. I don’t think that the photo represents how steep it was. Or maybe it wasn’t that steep, but after a couple of weeks with barely more than a few dozen contour lines between them, even a slight incline seemed steep:

Day 12 Pimplied

The road signs did seem to agree with my assessment of the terrain:

Day 12-1g

The lumps did make for some good views, and with the haze being significantly less than the previous day I could clearly make out the Humber below me.

Day 12 Pimply Views

Later in the day the views were over endless farmland, with the rape standing out against the lush greenness.

Day 12 yellow and green

Mick had enthused about the shape and generally pleasing look of this wide, shallow valley, and it was indeed a nice place to be on a sunny day. Admittedly the photos make it look rather non-descript, but as farmland goes, it really was quite pleasant.

Day 12 U shapedDay 12-2The original posts for the day can be found here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment