The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Chilli Again?!

The backpacks are packed again. There’s no guarantee that we’re going to get out for the fourth week in four, but we’ve maximised our chances by having everything* ready to go.

The downside is that no cooking and dehydrating has been done for months and the stocks are severely depleted, so for the fourth week in four the meal that I have available is a dehydrated veggie chilli. Good job we’ve not been out for a four-night trip, or it could have got a bit repetitive!

We’ve run out of dried rice too. Must get some dehydrating done before the next trip.

(*by everything I mean ‘all of our kit’. I don’t have a route up my sleeve, but I didn’t last week either, and the one two weeks before that was thrown together in ten minutes too, so there’s plenty of time yet to come up with a route.)

IMG_2024

The photo is completely unrelated to the text, except that it was a bit chilly that night too

 

1 comment:

  1. One of my best ever meals in a tent was a can of Glenryck Pilchards in tomato sauce, followed by a whole chocolate fudge cake and a bottle of cheap whisky, shared between Wee Will Wilkie and myself in his single skin Yukon tent halfway up Helvellyn when we were 17. (38 years ago - nylon single skin tents, even then, see?)

    The tent blew down in the night and I made Dave go out and put it back up again. It was his tent, after all said and done.

    ReplyDelete