The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Gratuitous Graphs of October

With only 60 days left this year, it seems like a good time to review how I’m doing against my target of walking 5 miles per day (or 1825 miles for the whole year).

Here’s the graph of the miles per month so far:

 

image

No break from the usual trend this year; in the middle of the year the mileage collapses

If you were to tot up those monthly totals you would come up with 1748 miles, just 77 shy of my target with 60 days to go. Seems achievable, doesn’t it?

This graph shows the average miles per day throughout the year so far. I concede that it’s not very well presented (miles are up the side; the first entry is 2 January 2011, the last entry is 30 October 2011), but the important thing is that as long as the blue line doesn’t touch or go below the pink line then I will be a happy tomato.

 

image

What isn’t shown by the graphs is that, this year, the miles I’ve put in have been of better quality than the last few years. There haven’t been endless repetitions of my local circuits (which isn’t to say that I haven’t walked them a good few times, but always with decent gaps in between those repetitions).

I will now try to refrain from posting any more graphs until year end!

2 comments:

  1. The geese have gone and so now it's Gayle's Graphs. All is in order.

    Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lovely VW Beetle which passed its MoT today. I noted that, since last year's test, I've driven it only 1,570 miles, rather less than you've walked in the past year. Well done.

    ReplyDelete