The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 15 May 2017

Creag Gharbh (NN632327; 637m)

Mon 15 May

Blue = bike (not all shown on map); red = foot
 
Waking at 0519, it took me only a few moments to realise that the forecast heavy rain and gale force winds had not yet arrived. At 0538 I was on the road, and after a quick breakfast in the car park in Killin, out came the bike and off I pedalled.

Many a pause was had on the tarmac track up to the reservoir of Lochan Breachraich for me to contemplate how much I dislike cycling and to ponder whether I should just continue on foot. Each time I convinced myself that the going would get easier if I just made it a bit further, and that the bike would be greatly appreciated in the way down. I made it a distance on the rough track beyond the reservoir before the sight of another sharp pull up had me ditch the wheels and continue on foot.

I'd had to pause to put my waterproof jacket on just as I'd started up the tarmac track and by the time I was on foot the rain was getting a bit more noticeable. Fortunately I stayed well sheltered from the wind until I reached the trig point.


The wind and rain combination meant there was no loitering at all today. A couple of snaps through my waterproof phone case and I was off.

By the time I got back to the bike the rain was coming down quite convincingly and by the time I was half way back down the track (which didn't take long - weeeeeeee!) I had lost the feeling in my fingers and toes.

I may have arrived back thoroughly dripping, but with a later start it would have been much worse.

I don't think Mick is going to have a pleasant day of walking today, but he probably walked further than his original plan yesterday and will no doubt take his fowl weather alternative today, so his day will hopefully be short and easy. With a bit of luck the tea room at Bridge of Balgie will be open when be passes.

(Bike 9.6 miles, 430m up; walk 1.5 miles, 150m up)

(Incidentally, this was another "If I'd known then what I know now..." hill, in that we walked within 600m of its summit on our Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan walk in 2011. So much effort today would have been saved if I'd just nipped up it then!)

1 comment:

  1. A very different day to ours Gayle. Just think of the fun you would have missed if you'd included this hill during your long walk.

    ReplyDelete